The Japanese Bass Bariton Yoshiaki Kimura is from Okayama / Japan and studied (Bachelor Gesang and Master Opera) at the University of the Arts Tokyo from 2000 to 2007. He continued his studies at the Operaschool of Karlsruhe Musikhochschule, then at the Coservatoire in Toulon / France, where he graduated with distinction in 2011. From 2011 to 2013 he studied at the Musikhochschule Stuttgart (Master Lied) and graduated in July 2013. In July 2015, he graduated from the Trossingen Musikhochschule (Konzertexamen Gesang).
In the season 2011/2012 he was chosen for the Flanders Opera Studio Gent / Belgium. In 2011, he took over the title role in the production of Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro at the Sommeroper Bamberg.
He won 1st prize in the 1st Japanese Song Contest, the 11th Sakurapia Song Contest and the 24th Yuai International Song Contest. In Japan he was awarded the Goto Culture Prize, the Kurashiki Culture Prize, the Fukutake Culture Fund Prize and the Matsukata Hall Music Prize.
Since the 2014/15 season, he has been an ensemble member of the Theater Bielefeld. Here he is performing, among others, in the role of Alidoro in La Cenerentola, as Manz in Romeo and Juliet in the village and as Dulcamara in L'elisir d'amore as well as Kaspar in “Der Freischütz”.
In the last season he sang the lead role of "Alberich" in "Das Rheingold" by Wagner.
This season he prepares u.a. a bass solo for the Symphony Concerto by Zimmermann, as well as the role of Peters (father) in "Hänsel und Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdinck.
He has devoted himself extensively to his doctoral thesis in 2020/2021, which he plans to complete with a concert in Tokyo in the summer. The subject of his doctoral thesis is ballads by Carl Loewe.
In the upcoming Season sings the title role in "Le Nozze di Figaro" at the Theater Bielefeld.and the role of Méphistophélès in Gounods FAUST.
2017 Marusen Foundation Culture Award
2014 Kurashiki Culture Award
2014 Matsukata Music Award
2013 Yuai International Song Contest | 1st Prize
2013 Fukutake Cultural Sponsorship Award
2013 Okayama Culture Award
2013 Gotoh Memorial | Culture and Opera Singer Award
2009 JSG Japan Schubert | int. Singing Competition | Finalist
2009 Sakurapia Contest | 1st Prize and Sakura Grand Prix
2009 Japanese Song Contest | 1st Prize
2009 Hansgaboa Belvedere Int. Opera Contest
2009 Fukumitsu IOX-AROSA Summer Song Seminar | Excellence Award
2007 Japanese Singing Contest | Finalist
2007 Yokohama International Music Contest | 3rd Prize
2006 JILA Music Contest | 2nd Prize
2005 Nerima Culture Center | New Artist Concert | Excellence Award
2014 The Rohm Music Foundation (Japan)
2013 The Gotoh Memorial Foundation (Japan)
2011 The Robus Foundation (Belgium)
2011 The Nomura Foundation (Japan)
Repertoire | Opera
2021 Further opera productions in planning
• Tamerlano - Leone - Bielefeld Theater
• Faust - Méphistophélès - Theater Bielefeld
• Aida - King - Theatre Bielefeld
• Le Nozze di Figaro - Figaro - Theatre Bielefeld
• Orpheus in der Unterwelt - Cupido - Theatre Bielefeld
• Ariane und Blaubart -Bauer - Theatre Bielefeld
• Dead Man Walking - First Guard - Theatre Bielefeld
• Hänsel und Gretel - Vater - Theater Bielefeld
• La Traviata - Marchese d’Obigny - Theatre Bielefeld
• Orlando Paladino - Licone - Theatre Bielefeld
• Das Rheingold - Alberich - Theatre Bielefeld
• Benzin - Plumcake - Theatre Bielefeld
• La Cenerentola - Alidoro - Opera Castle Hallwyl/Switzerland
• Otello - Montano - Theatre Bielefeld
• Die Zauberflöte - Speaker - Theatre Bielefeld
• L‘elisir d‘amore - Dulcamara - Theatre Bielefeld
• Der Freischütz - Kaspar - Theatre Bielefeld
• Gianni Schicchi - Betto - Theatre Bielefeld
• IL Tabarro - Talpa - Theatre Bielefeld
• Dog Days - Howard (Leading Role) - Theatre Bielefeld
• Macbeth - Banco - Theatre Bielefeld
• La Scala di Seta - Blansac - Theatre Bielefeld
• Tannhäuser - Reinmar von Zweter - Theatre Bielefeld
• The Magic Flute - Speaker - Theatre Bielefeld
• Xerxes - Elviro - Theatre Bielefeld
• Hamlet - Geist - Theatre Bielefeld
• Romeo and Julia on the Village - Manz - Theatre Bielefeld
• La Cenerentola - Alidoro - Theatre Bielefeld
• Madama Butterfly - Bonzo - Theatre Bielefeld
• Le Nozze di Figaro - Figaro - Theatre Mannheim
• Le Nozze di Figaro - Figaro - Opera Avanti (Belgien)
• L‘elisir d‘amore - Dulcamara - Flanders Opera Studio
• Le Nozze di Figaro - Figaro - Summer Opera Bamberg
• Cosi fan tutte - Guglielmo, Alfonso - Gift Music Co. (Japan)
• Simon Boccanegra - Paolo - Tokio National University
• IL Barbiere di Sivilla - Bartolo - Tokio National University